View Single Post
Old 01-10-23, 01:35 PM   #6
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I've dropped about 40 hours in to this one so far and I like it. I've not had a single crash.

The hunting side of the game is quite good. The tracking, sign, shooting, wind and scent and penetration models are all well done.

There's a herd management mechanic where the player can influence the genetics of the animals in the reserves over time. It's obviously super accelerated, with generations taking days instead of decades. But I've already begun to see the effects. If you cull the old and weak, then future spawns will reflect higher quality animals.

Weapons include rifles and shotguns, in many of the expected calibers. From .22 through .350 mag. There's an 'ethical energy' mechanic, where the idea is to match the hitting power of the round to the animal, to kill cleanly but not to over do it. Works well.

I'm playing on the medium 'Hunter' difficulty and the animals are suitably wary and alert. It's a good hunting simulation in the field.

The only marks I have against it is the narrative or story side. Imagine your state government producing material to teach about hunting ethics in the 1970's to grade schoolers. That's what it is like. Thankfully these moments pass quickly, and the missions pay money for buying new kit, so I tolerate it. But I really dislike how it's done here. I'm not nine years old.

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-10-23 at 03:21 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote