Old 10-02-12, 11:57 PM   #13
Hawkbill
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonatanr View Post
Hi
It seems that it is practically impossible to get detected by japanese destroyers. I have played it until 1942 August and I have never been damaged by a depth charge attack.

Most of the time it seems that as long as your sub is below the thermal layer, the destroyers don't pick you up at all. Depth charging is usually incredibly inaccurate. The destroyers use very little sonar despite that fact that they seem to have the technology.

In sh3 one had to use all of one's capabilities to evade destroyers and sometimes even that wasn't enough. In sh4 silent running and 50 meters of depth are enough to make a sub invincible from anything.

Eventually I became tempted to try out the destroyers by never going below 40 meters and even still they didn't manage to even dent me. Sometimes destroyers pass right over my sub and don't even try to use sonar.

I'm running patch 1.3 at the moment. so the question is are we dealing with faulty AI or is it just the case of early war and inexperienced destroyer crews etc. that is causing this.

Right now the only place where the destroyers can pose any kind of threat is in extremely shallow waters.
You see, The problem here, Is your Game is broken. The Destroyers in SH4, 'ell, I can hardly play it without dying of either Planes or them.

The reason they don't notice you under Thermal layer, Is because pinging doesn't pass through the Thermal layer.
And the reason that Depth charges are inaccurate, Well, Let's say, It's like trying to hit a Bird out of the sky, with a rock. Sure, The bird will die if you hit it, But the rock is so slow, And the bird so fast, And you have only such a range on it... What i mean is, You can move Horizontally, Faster then the Depth charge can move Vertically, So by the time it reaches you, You've evaded it. Even at Periscope depth.

Now that we've got the Pinging and the Depth charges Tackled.

The... "Lack" of pinging, like, What? They Ping all the time, It's like they don't even know you're there, They just like the sound. The destroyers i have in my game, I can barely get within range before i hear the dreaded "Ping.... Ping.... Ping...."

I'll summarize this. In short, Your Game is broken, Or you are a VERY lucky man. That or you don't come across Destroyers as often as i do. (Sometimes they just don't notice you.)

And incase you notice, Yes, I created an account of the forum just to reply to you.
Hawkbill is offline   Reply With Quote