View Single Post
Old 05-08-11, 10:52 AM   #1
Joonatanr
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default too easy to escape destroyers in sh4

Hi

I recently bought silent hunter 4 and I can safely say it's probably one of the best sim games I've ever played. However there is one thing that does bother me. It seems that it is practically impossible to get detected by japanese destroyers. I have played it until 1942 August and I have never been damaged by a depth charge attack.

Most of the time it seems that as long as your sub is below the thermal layer, the destroyers don't pick you up at all. Depth charging is usually incredibly inaccurate. The destroyers use very little sonar despite that fact that they seem to have the technology.

In sh3 one had to use all of one's capabilities to evade destroyers and sometimes even that wasn't enough. In sh4 silent running and 50 meters of depth are enough to make a sub invincible from anything.

Eventually I became tempted to try out the destroyers by never going below 40 meters and even still they didn't manage to even dent me. Sometimes destroyers pass right over my sub and don't even try to use sonar.

I'm running patch 1.3 at the moment. so the question is are we dealing with faulty AI or is it just the case of early war and inexperienced destroyer crews etc. that is causing this.

Right now the only place where the destroyers can pose any kind of threat is in extremely shallow waters.
Joonatanr is offline   Reply With Quote