View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 09:27 AM   #912
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Troop insertion missions seem broken. I'm trying to follow the SM08 InsertionRescueTraining.pdf included with FotRS:UE, but it doesn't work.

The problem is that I can't postpone. If I try to use the "postpone" option when prompted to drop the troops off, so that I can get the boat going back and hard starboard rudder as suggested (so that the raft doesn't crash into my sub), I am never able to launch the troops. I get the "sword" icon in the upper right, but when I click on it nothing happens. No dialog to perform the troop insertion. I have to do it when it initially pops up, or can't do it at all.
yeah, the documentation can be spotty.
you need to be:
  • surfaced
  • moving less than 2 or 3 kts (i cannot remember exactly)
  • be within the maximum distance of the drop zone, typically 3 - 5 km depending.

you may meet these requirements and get the drop-off prompt, click postpone and then move your boat in such a way that one of the requirements is no longer fulfilled.
a technique that many kaleuns use with success is:
  • draw a radius circle for the proper distance using the dropoff point as the center point.
  • drive your boat in such a manner as to put your starboard side facing the beach.
  • dive your boat to periscope depth as you enter the radius circle, making 1 or 2 kts.
  • come to a stop then surface.
  • dispatch your spies, supplies, agents, coastwatchers. when the raft has cast off, submerge to PD and move away to port at low speed until you clear the immediate area and are no longer in jeopardy of colliding with the raft.

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote