Old 01-18-22, 03:30 PM   #95
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Well that was easy.
I compared the main obj and the AO obj in 010.
Your vertices do not match between the Main Hull and AO Hull.
If you are talking about my puffer model vertices in the main model do match vertices in the AO model, confirmed by WimMerge comparison and by the fact that my spreadsheet (which supposes an exact match in vertex order) generates a correct output

I think you meant texture vertices. Didn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
IF number counts are the same for the vertices? It ignores what those are in the AO object and only imports the faces and texture coords!

So basically S3D IS importing garbage you created.
That is the flaw AND the opening in S3D that I am working to fix!
in an obj file 3D faces are denoted by the vertices composing them. So in a triangulated model you need three numbers to denote a face, e.g. 3 31 15 (this is: vertices # 3, 31 and 15 in the list of vertices are connected to compose a face).

This is for non-UV-mapped objects. For UV-mapped objects you must add three more numbers. Following the previous example: 3/10 31/7 15/25.
This line tells us that vertices #3, #31 and #15 in the vertex list are connected to compose a face in the 3D space, and that vertices #10, #7 and #25 in the texture vertex list compose a face in the UV space, where vt #10 corresponds to v #3, vt #7 to v #31 and vt #25 to v #15.

The errors I and Mister_M have been experiencing lead me to think - but this is only my guessing - that face definitions are written in dat/gr2 files only once, that secondary texture coordinates are stored in the same order as main UV coordinates, and that neither S3d nor GR2E read all the information stored in secondary obj file's face definitions in order to sort texture coordinates appropriately.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote