View Single Post
Old 02-27-08, 09:08 PM   #9
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar732
How about your thoughts of my Soyo box being the main Linux system? Back in 2006, I developed our church website using Joomla on BlueHost. Since moving from Quincy late that year, my web admin duties eluded me to the secretary who went to godaddy since she couldn't understand the inner workings of Joomla.

Now that I'm on 4mb dsl and wanting to peek into Apache, I've found quite a few other options that help on the LAMP side.

Apachefriends.org with How-To install located on IBM site

The basis of my desire for apache is for the virtual host option of creating another website within apache. I want to create two websites. One for family and friends to look at for updates, the other for my plan to create my own computer consulting business here in Central Missouri.

Sooo many choices.
Linux runs on anything. For the Soyo box (I assume exteemely slow), I'd go with a minimal system. Damn Small Linux is a good choice (Though hide the name from your church goers!), and is designed to run on older hardware.

Gentoo is also a good choice since you can compile to any hardware you want, but probably not a great choice for a first timer. To give you an idea though, my main server in this house only draws 17 Watts of power (Its on 24/7, so low power is a must), and it runs Gentoo Linux. It has a relatively slow Power PC 266 MHz CPU and 128 MB of RAM. So it is possible to have a decent Linux OS running on underpowered hardware, and you won't even really notice how under-powered your hardware is if you leave the bloat behind.

-S