View Single Post
Old 01-22-22, 09:37 AM   #3
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Downloads: 743
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
In real life, it depended on seniority plus performance. R.H. O Kane (Tang) made Cdr rather quickly after making LCDR after serving as XO of Wahoo. Talking just over a year, due in large part to his stellar war time performance.

In my TMO Update, player will make Cdr after six patrols rated as "good" or better by the sim.I believe the 150 is the number of days required before eligible for promotion, along with the six required patrols. I upped it from five patrol because it seemed a bit too easy to make the rank. I raised requirement for Captain to 20 patrols to make it very difficult to reach that rank, since someone promoted to Captain would be on a desk, not commanding a submarine, except in rare cases or maybe as a temp CO one one patrol (happened a few times, to give senior officers wartime command experience, or if had it earlier in war, gave them a chance to get back out there, temporarily, while a permanent CO was in transit or completing his PCO run (Prospective Commanding Officer) tour on another sub.)
And how many, on average, did captains go out on combat patrols during the war?
Were there commanders who started and ended the war as a submarine commander?
In the German submarine fleet, I know there was Wolfgang Luth who from 1939 to 1943 commanded various submarines that participated in the hostilities. And who also lasted in the American submarine fleet in his position and for how long?
LUKNER is offline   Reply With Quote