iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu70 View Post
Good to know. I will send you Swedish shipnames shortly

Thank you.

FYI the images on the first page of this thread have been updated. Take a look if you are new to this thread.

The Monmouth class has been used for warship damage model testing; with some changes I will apply this DM to Leadtail's AC's too and other medium warships.....

If I'm not mistaken, this will be the first supermod where ships have real parts, and are not just empty shells. Tests have gone extremely well, and framerates are excellent on my old computer.

Boilers have been installed, and I get no flicker through the hull - woohoo!

For simplicity's sake only 3-4 sets of boiler drums will be modeled in a big ship..but when a ship is torpedoed, they leak steam and can explode/break loose if a ship has a structural failure. Adding new smoke/fire/steam/oil/blood is easy and fun (I know, blood is gross!) Anyways, I am thinking of other parts to model:

-Engines
-Oil Tanks
-Crew Quarters
-Steam Lines
-Magazines
-Shell Rooms

No stuttering, and I haven't even optimized the internal parts with visibility distance triggers. there is SO MUCH that can be done with the SH3/SH4 platform; it can really be pushed hard.

My inspirations are the "Firepower" and "Wings over Flanders Fields" CFS plane game mods. Both have vehicles with numerous internal parts, and many smoke/explosion effects showing what has been damaged.

"Duke of Edinburgh" and "Black Prince" are being skinned - very happy with these ships, and they are not even at full detail yet. Still an amateur at modeling historical ships, but I truly think the models are better than the ones destroyed by the virus.

A low polygon 3pdr gun is below - less than 2,000 vertices. This was the anti-Torpedo Boat armament for HMS "Black Prince", HMS "Duke of Edinburgh", HMS "Warrior", HMS "Natal", HMS "Cochrane", and HMS "Achilles".

These guns were unpopular, b/c they were too weak to sink destroyers quickly - to quote Conway, "The 3pdr guns were virtually useless as anti-torpedo weapons and their adoption in [DoE and Warrior Class ships] is inexplicable."

The "Monster Cruisers" HMS Minotaur, HMS Defence, and HMS Shannon were given better light guns.... 16 x 3-inch (12pdr) guns, instead of the weak 3pdr. Later Royal navy battleships and battlecruisers used even heavier guns as secondary armament - usually 4-inch or 6-inch.

In WOTK, you will see the 3pdr not just on cruisers, but as main armament for merchantmen, trawlers, drifters, launches, and other badly-armed ships early in the war. By 1917-1918, they will be phased out as more 3-inch and 4-inch guns become available.

My old gun version of this gun was very crude; this is still simple but hope you people like it.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote