Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 02-11-23, 09:16 AM   #439
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I would have it on default. Is it enabled or disabled at the start? I've not changed it. I think it's off by default.

I care about score, in trying to take the best trophies. With the perks and skills I've taken I can see weight and trophy estimates when spotting and tracking, and can now target the best examples. Of course with deer-likes the rack itself is a good indicator, but I couldn't tell a trophy bear, fox or bison just by looking at it. Maybe if they are standing beside another one I can judge which one is bigger. So the trophy estimate range is very handy to select the best ones to target.

My gold percentage has shot way up since obtaining these perks, but I still have but a single diamond, and no great ones.

Way of the Hunter emphasizes the stages a hunter goes through.

To paraphrase, these are

-- Shooting Stage. The hunter is happy to get out in the field and fire his weapon at targets.

-- Limit Stage. The hunter has the skills to successfully harvest game and proves it by taking his limit

-- Trophy Stage. The hunter is no longer satisfied with taking a full tag. Now he seeks the best examples.

-- Method Stage. Trophies alone are no longer enough, and the hunter seeks to challenge himself with the method. Bows, muzzleloaders and other skillful methods are attractive.

-- Sportsman Stage. The hunter is content. He has mastered his craft and has the trophies to prove it. Now he seeks to share what he knows with new hunters, and seeks to promote conservation and teach newcomers the proper ethics and methods of hunting.

I'm straddling stages 3 and 4 haha. Bow hunting for the best animals is how I spend the most time, but I mix it up with all weapons. Funny story. I noticed I got the new .50 modern muzzleloader. Must have come with the New England reserve?

Anyway, I took it out last night to complete a mission that required it (take a turkey with a bow and a moose with the muzzleloader). I was slowly stalking near a lake and spotted a black bear not far off. She sensed me and rose on her hind legs like they do but I wasn't prepared to shoot and I stopped to see what she did. She lost me as I had stopped moving and began walking, straight toward my position. Straight on with her head low I could not get a good shot at the vitals. Finally, she was too close, just 15 yards and I tried to shoot past her head and hit the chest. But whatever I hit didn't take her down and she came for me.

I went to shoot again, but saw I had no round loaded. Hit reload and well, it's a freakin' muzzleloader! Doh! She hit me at a full run and took a nice wedge out of my health bar. The lesson is, always make the first shot count with a muzzleloader haha.