View Single Post
Old 01-28-23, 09:27 AM   #11
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Thanks for the quick response, KaleunMarco, I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
the skills are the things that give crewmembers the capabilities to do things better or worse than others.
That's what I thought, so just wanted to be sure.

Quote:
skills are assigned through the crewmembers.upc and are expressed as percentages between 0 and 1.0.
I was wondering about this -- especially since I've seen officers with values of 140+ in leadership. I need to pay attention to this to see if this is because of some special ability or just time. If it is because of time (i.e. the factor value for a skill, regardless of skill, that is affected by the compartment's respective value in the sub's NSS file), then you can probably reference this as a factor to decide when to "transfer" a crew member.

As of now, if I see any of these above 100 in the crew management, I just swap them out to the pool. Unfortunately, there aren't enough replacements of similar rank half the time. Either that, or I don't have enough renown to get the crew I need to replace him.

Quote:
skills can be increased only by promotion (ranks.upc).
In "one shot"-style, yes. These are the +40 leadership, 20% guns, etc., that I've seen in the file which increase the crew members skill by the amount written when you promote them.

They can also increase (albeit slowly) through compartment factors in the NSS file for the sub, from what I've seen.

I'm still debating whether to keep the changes I've done here, or just stay with the "default" values from the FotRSU version (1.8) that I started from. I just don't know if getting a promotion should boost your leadership by 40%, or if it should be more along the lines of the rest of the stuff in there. I think it's more like 20% across the board for the other skills.

Quote:
special abilities are skill multipliers, except that it does not seem to be a 1:1 multiplier. by that i mean, i have not been able to figure out exactly, what effect any special ability value has on a skill except that it does have a positive effect.
That's why I was thinking of using the special abilities more as "markers" to decide who goes and who stays. I'm just worried that if I have the values added to the player via the rank.upc file, then when a crew member gets the ability through promotion there will be a "superman" effect with the ability getting multiplied by some unknown factor that only UbiSoft could answer.

If I do it the second way (Method #2), then you don't have the multiplier when/if you loose the crew member as part of the crew. Which is why you wouldn't transfer that particular crew member until another one got the ability through promotion. That way, if there was a "superman" effect, it would only be for the remainder of the patrol.

If you keep an eye on them -- and an eye on those values for skills that go over 100% -- you should have a fairly good idea of what crew members to swap out when you get back to port.

That's what I was hoping to do with BuPers -- basically a way to somewhat help the player decide how to implement transfers and crew management since we don't have any way to actually do that right now.

There was a user that put out a way to do this with dice and a count, but that seems just TOO random.

The other stuff like better rank images, rates, messages, etc., was meant to be more of the "icing" to make it look nice.

Guess I'm going to send out the icing before the cake, sort of.

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote