View Single Post
Old 12-17-22, 11:47 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I thought I bang the drum for this title a bit more, and give you an idea of the elements by which you navigate in your job that the sim tasks you with in its world. Mind you, the game by now provides also full 2D compatability, you do not depend on owning a VR headset. Although without it, you miss a big chunk of the cake. I write from the perspective of a VR user, however, minor details in handling might be different for 2D players, I don't know.

First thing to know is that DV provides you a small microcosmos completely with geographic features as well as an inherent economic eco-system. Like in the very first Railroad Tycoon from 30+ years ago, you must earn money to buy licenses for new kinds of freight, and for new locomotives. You must also have money to pay for technical maintenance, and the consequences of accidents you cause - up to blowing up complete railways stations when you hit into rows of parked oil tank waggons and set the whole town ablaze. The insurrance will kill you, promised. To stay in business, you must stay liquid. To get into business, you have to start small. Very small. A tiny shunter is all you first get.

Throughout the world, there are several towns and settlements scattered around. They all are individual parts of the economic grid. Ressources must be shuttled to producing factories, products must be delivered to sales points - you know the drill.

In the offices, you usually see a map like this

When you are on tour, you always have a mobile pack of documents with you, amongst them is this map again:

I usually store it in good sight inside the locomotive, for my position gets marked on it.

This map translates into this abstract illustration of how the various locations economcially interact with each other, so that you know where you can expect what kind of freight:

Every station has different jobs on offer, that means you can freely decide which one to pick as long as you own the needed licenses for freight and the needed locomotive to pull the according waggons. And some of those railtracks go steeply uphill! You cannot do everything with just any locomotive. And in some you will be tested to the limits of physics (whose rule always apply).

The various jobs, or "missions" if you will, come as forms on a table, describing them. That in cludes kind of freight, number of waggons, needed licenses, time limits, and so forth. The time limits really set up the pressure!

In VR, you can pick them up, check them, and compare them, holding them with in virtual hands. Once you decided which to pick, you use slot machines, so to speak, to process your filing of your choosen job (and again you use them when you are done and want to get paid). You hold the forms and throw them into the according slots, maybe press one or two option buttons.

In return, you get your next travel's logbook, which has detailed information on individuall waggon ID numbers, and where you need to pick up or decouple what waggons, because your job may be coming in several parts, giving you changing waggons during the ride to your final destination of the shift. Could also be that you just shunt waggons inside the railway station.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-17-22 at 12:13 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote