View Single Post
Old 05-09-20, 09:34 AM   #45
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchOU View Post
So i'm a little confused......are individual units playable like a simulator. Like Taskforce 1942 and 1942 Pacific Air War?

Anyway...it looks great and it's been a dream of mine to have an upgraded version of both those games with obviously better graphics and gameplay.

Hi there!

Thank you for the kind words.

No, we're making a realtime wargame the likes of Carriers at War or Pacific Air War Carrier Battles module. It is not excluded that at some point we'll tackle the platform simulation level, but it's not for vol.1
After all that is said and done, we're still a small team at the end of the day. Gotta make sure we make it happen properly before we think about expanding it further, right?

Quote:
From a damage stand point...are you modeling the "wet deck" worst case scenario of getting caught arming and refueling and being attacked at the same time? For BOTH sides? Nagumo takes a lot of flak for his decision making and how that left the carrier strike force vulnerable at the (in hindsight of course) most inopportune time. His luck ran out.....luck created by overconfidence in the element of surprise and ignoring critical intel which gave clues that US might know that they were coming... (Miracle at Midway is my #1 book on the subject).

Well
Nagumo's decisions were not so much based on over-confidence than actual events hampering the proper executions of the orders - and random events allowing the events to flow like they did.

Had the Chikuma scout found TF-16 like it should have had it flown properly its course, Nagumo would have received a spotting report before he got to re-order a second strike on Midway. It just snowballed from there. But as long as objective #2 (neutralize Midway as a base) is the first objective because objective #1 (sink any enemy carrier) is disabled by the absence of any sighting report, you can't blame him - and you can't blame the AI - for acting on what is then actual knowledge.

Miracle at Midway is a nice narrative but it is unfortunately largely weakened as a reference by the digging that has been made since then (especially by the iconic Shattered Sword you probably have heard about). Sorry if I am to disappoint you on this, but I sincerely recommend to read Lundstrom Black Shoe Carrier Admiral as a good example of what result we're trying to achieve. And yes, "wet decks" are part of the whole affair, otherwise where's the challenge
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote