View Single Post
Old 07-08-08, 09:53 AM   #13
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I went ahead at full speed ahead of the tanker, had to go at depth 40 because the sea floor was coming dangerously near my sub.

Then once i thought i was in the "danger zone" and could now be in enemy sonars, i slowed down to +/- a speed of 2.

After looking at narrowband and broadband and always noticing no contact on any panels, i decided to ping the water as that damn tanker was going full speed and my advance of it was becoming smaller and smaller and always saw nothing.

So i used the periscope and far away at +/- bearing 300 in zoom maximum i saw what looked like something "light blue" on the "deep blue" of the water, but it could just have been a visual bug .

As the shape of that bizarre anomaly was strangely similar to one of a sub (like if it was floating on the water, i snapshot-ed it and launched a torpedo at this far away snapshot that i designed as a sub platform.

And i was right, as after some time, explosion -> kilo destroyed. That strange bug (as it was the shape of the whole sub instead of just a periscope) for once was helping.

During that time, sadly the tanker certaionly commanded by some really stupid guy arrived at my side always at full speed, and then "torpedo in the water" with the conclusion minutes later that tanker went down with the fishes.

A second torpedo was in the water after that while i was again trying to ping everywhere, obviously i was the target as i was revealing myself, so i moved away while firing another torpedo to where the enemy one +/- appeared.

Launching countermesures just in case and going away, unfortunately i lost the wire and the torpedo went berserk living a life of its own.

I used again the periscope and clearly saw what looked like another periscope relatively near in a different direction from where was coming the torpedo, there was a 3rd enemy sub ? .
No wonder that idiotic tanker stood no chances...

Good that i used the periscope, as there was a far away civilian ship that i could have hit with a random shot if i believed the sonar contacts.

Strangely exploring the narrowband showed always nothing related to any kind of submarine (and the broadband was always looking the same, at least it showed my torpedo going away).
I stopped pinging this time (as i remembered the enemy torpedo running somewhere).

So i snapshoted the enemy periscope, and launched another torpedo.

Unfortunately, as i was following the events on periscope i totally forgot to check what was happening with the enemy torpedo, where it was and where it was heading on.
I should have looked and used another countermesure while going elsewhere because soon after while looking at periscope to check the behaviour of the enemy while my torpedo was away i was hit and sunk by that roaming torpedo launched by the sub i never saw.

On the debriefing i noticed the scoring said there were indeed 3 kilo against me (last time i played that mission the debrief said there was only 2).

Next time i try, i will launch salvos as you suggest Frame57 instead of making sure my contacts are indeed kilos, as i can't see how to save that damned tanker as if i slow down to catch the kilo, that idiot try to run full speed ahead of me and is always destroyed during that time even when i manage to sink a kilo before.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote