View Single Post
Old 11-24-21, 01:50 PM   #5
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I have the Monaghans action scripted but in three test runs have ran into problems.

One is that SH 4 for whatever reason, AI ships see AI submarines like surface ships, so near by shore batteries and other warships start firing guns at the midget sub, causing it to do evasive action and at times run aground and not always making it to the area where it was sunk by the Monaghan. Mean while battleships over on battleship row are firing guns across the harbor at it lmao, looks silly.

Then, the Mongahan , because of how AI treats sub, engages with guns primarily, just shoots at the sub. Only once did it drop depth charges. Due to limited space in the inaccurate rendition of Pearl Harbor in SH 4, DD sometimes runs aground or gets "stuck" going ahead and reverse, unable to see a way around.

Another issue is for some reason, enemy aircraft prefer to attack lesser vessels in the sim in lieu capital vessels lol it is pretty ass backwards. I have watched them choose to attack merchants, submarines, and destroyers over the battleships so I had to remove all merchants from harbor for the attack sequence. Problem is with Monaghan running round, it distracts too many bombers who end up attacking her instead of Utah which is closest battleship. I made a special Monaghan DD type, but changed it from a DD to a capital ship, planes did not swarm on it the same but then the problem is while it still attacks the sub, its not the hunter it was and more difficult to get a depth charge run out of it vs when set as a DD. Years ago ran into this issue in Combat Flight Simulator 2 and we found a work around, assigning priority numbers in the files of different ships so AI planes would not attack a cruiser in midway task force over a carrier, but don't see that option in SH 4, believe it is a hard corded issue.

Test 1

Midget sub never even made it to the attack area, ran aground on west side of ford island.

Test 2

sub was crippled by gun fire from shore batteries and BB Utah as it was coming up west side of forward island.Made it to area where Monaghan gunned it until ran aground and backed off, then was stuck.

Test 3

Sub was in correct place at correct time. Monaghan spotted it and attacked with guns. Finally made a close enough run and dropped two depth charges, which crippled the midget sub, it slowed and was trailing oil until sunk to bottom. Problem is, probably 20 dive bombers ignored the nearby Utah and attacked the Monaghan lol. Amazingly did not sink it, but she was on fire after bomb hit.

I am still trying to perfect this portion of the action but yes, want it to included in final release. Most people are still unaware of this action. Pretty intense, fighting a sub, dodging torpedoes in middle of a air raid, then the shallow depth of harbor, the shock wave of the DC lifted the stern out of the water, causing DD to crash into a barge from what I read. Still got underway after that, pretty interesting aspect of the PH attack .

The engagement with the midget sub by USS Ward has been added as well outside the harbor. Last tested it fired its deck gun and scored hits, then rolled over and dropped three DC , which sunk the sub. Pretty cool when it plays out as in did in reality.
Well if you don't get it to work it's no big deal you can just have Monaghan sail through the harbor and out to assist Ward like it was originally ordered to do, not sure if it continued this after hitting the barge or just sort of sat there until the attack ended.

I'm also curious how badly you can destroy USS Cassin and Downes that were with USS Pennsylvania in the drydock, they were essentially wrecked completely. Also if it is possible to have the USS Shaw in the floating drydock. It would just be neat to see how far we can push Silent Hunter to show a historical event with some authenticity!

I was also wondering if you will include some radio messages that players can pick up from inside Pearl or in the vicinity, I don't know if there was radio traffic that could be picked up during the attack but would be neat to be on what you thought was a regular patrol nearby then suddenly getting a flurry of radio messages of the attack and learning of it the way I'm sure many in the Navy did while out of the Harbor.

EDIT: I just looked at your pictures again and is that an Omaha Class cruiser I see......?!?!?!?! If this game had a sailable Omaha or Northampton Class it would be the greatest game ever made lol