View Single Post
Old 10-25-16, 06:05 PM   #27
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Now that we've gotten our feet wet with learning how software is installed in Ubuntu Linux, we have to remember why we're doing all this. We were.........ummmm........oh yeah, installing Silent Hunter 4 in Ubuntu. Well, Ubuntu comes with a program called WINE, which stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's not a virtual machine either, it's a way to run Windows programs natively inside Linux. WINE is much quicker than a virtual machine or an emulator like DOSBox.

So get out your game DVD and slide it into the drive. Start up the Nautilus file manager and follow the bouncing ball in this video!

If you have the SH4 Gold version you're done for now. If you have the original Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific version, like I have, you still have to install U-Boat Missions. In either case DO NOT RUN THE GAME YET! We have stuff to do!

Did I say thank you Neal for letting us embed videos in our posts? YEAH!!!!!! Imagine how much longer this post would be if I had to do it with screenshots instead of video.

Coming up next: installing U-Boat Missions, JSGME, MultiSH4 and Large Address Aware, then how to make an SH4 Pristeen directory so you never have to reinstall SH4 again!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-26-16 at 09:49 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote