View Single Post
Old 10-24-16, 08:30 PM   #22
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
First I will find out what's really inside(have to find out how to) The information I will post in this thread.
Always helpful when we are trying to assist "over the net"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

It's a Parkard Bell computer

Haven't had it turned on for weeks, but i remember my graphic was something with Chipset family 64 Mb(on the front it says "Intel Celeron inside) and with 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post

If the graphics section is listing 64MB, it's intergrated video. To use it for SH3 and above, find out if you have an AGP, PcI or PcI express video card slot. SH3 can be played on a 128 Mb video card but nothing lower than that. A card in the 512 Mb can be had for $ 30 and above.

Once you have the card Markus you need :

1) Go into the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics.

2) turn off your computer and install your video card.

3) if your new card comes with a CD, install it and follow the instructions.

4) if you don't get a CD, go online to the video card manufacturer and download any updates for the video card.

At that point, you should be ready to enjoy your games.
This is primarily directed at Commander Wallace's post, but is for mapuc's benefit....

If we are viewing this from strictly a "Linux" perspective...
We have 2 options here...

Operating under the assumption that it is indeed an integrated card. (I'm not saying it isn't.)
It's either an ATI/AMD GPU, or an Nvidia GPU.

If it is an ATI/AMD GPU, then the "Radeon" or "Gallium" open source driver will work, and is included when you install Linux.

The Older ATI/AMD 'Catalyst' or 'Crimson' drivers that would work with that card, will not handle the newest "X.org" (the part that actually "draws" your GUI/Desktop), and I doubt it will work with the newer Kernel(s) (the part that is "Linux").
The "New" drivers from AMD ("AMDGPU-PRO"), only start at the R7 (200 or 300 depending on which source I reference), and work with the R9 and the new RX 480X.
All the older cards are handled by the "Radeon" open source driver.
This Link is me helping Sublynx sort out getting SH3 running "better" on his Linux Mint install... Goes into a bit more "depth" about the drivers. Not a "must read", an example of someone that has "been there" before.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195484

If it is an Nvidia, then the open source driver isn't as good. (Last I heard, Nvidia doesn't help the open source driver devs. This may have changed.)
The good thing is that Nvidia's Proprietary Linux drivers are very good.

In that case you will need to download and install the driver from Nvidia's web site.
From attempting to install the Driver on another PC for someone else (in Fedora), you have to drop to the command line to install it. (or at least, you did a few years ago.)

You may also be able to increase the amount of RAM allocated to the Video, this will vary by board.

I built a AM3 socket Based dual-core 2.8GHZ, with an integrated AMD HD4200.
Default was 64/128MB of RAM allocated to the Video, but we could select to increase it up to 512MB in the BIOS. At the time, that PC was also running 4 GB of RAM.
Check the BIOS and see what you can do with it.

If you opt to get a card, and install it to replace the integrated (and free up the RAM), then install Linux after you get the card, that way it will install the drivers for you.

Just a few thoughts on the conversation here...

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 10-24-16 at 08:54 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote