View Single Post
Old 12-30-20, 05:22 PM   #440
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic452 View Post
How about Sailor Steve? or did I miss something?
Steve is alive but hardly well.

I've been suffering for six years now from chronic diarrhea which I wouldn't have mentioned but it has gotten steadily worse until now I have no control over it and almost no feeling at all.

Over the last two years I've also lost the use of my legs. That actually started over a decade ago with an occasional random fall. No dizziness. No blackouts. I'd suddenly just fall down. Sometimes I would just be standing still. Lately, like everything else, this has grown worse. I would have a very hard time getting back up. The doctors talked about sense of balance.

Then one morning in the kitchen I fell and bounced off the refrigerator. A shattered left shoulder and two cracks in my skull are the first broken bones I've ever had. A week in the ICU and I ended up in a rest home/rehab center.

They said it would take six weeks to heal but after nine weeks it showed no signs of improvement. X-rays showed the cuff to be completely detached. Three more weeks and a new set of X-rays and an MRI showed nothing different. Then they finally decided to do the operation they should have done in the first place.

After fifteen weeks I'm actually starting to heal. Well, my shoulder anyway. I have a soft foam helmet I have to wear anytime I'm out of bed. I still can't walk. I can't even get from my bed to the wheelchair without help. The diarrhea continues. Except when they haul me off to the hospital I've lived in this bed for six months. I don't know if I'll walk again. The only good news is that I'm receiving a pension, and I have my computer to keep me occupied, so I'm pretty much doing the same things I was doing before, just in a smaller space.

And that's where I'm at right now.