View Single Post
Old 05-18-08, 04:55 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Hey, McBee! I just discovered this thread myself (obviously). I had the opposite experience - I hated the maps. Of course that's mostly because of the lone freighter I was chasing down with my deck gun. Just when I thought I had him my sub slowly started turning around. I ordered the helmsman back after the target, but he insisted he was right and kept turning me the other way. I took a look at the map view, and sure enough, I was at the edge of the map and the game wouldn't let me go any further.:rotfl:

As to Mark's original question, I think his point 3 and point 7 offset each other. Yes there are Task Groups, so many of them that if you can't set one up another will be along soon enough. That was one of the things I started to dislike about SHCE. The other was the Time Compression sonar thing. I can't remember the number of times I was safely away, but as soon as I hit the TC button they heard me and came running back. Very frustrating.

Still, some of my fondest memories are of AOD and SH. But, as I've often pointed out, my addiction to the newer versions is the sight and feel of sailing out of the ports. It's just too real for me to go back.