Old 04-21-23, 10:41 AM   #5383
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
I am not so sure if this is vanilla game bug or FOTRSU bug:

1. Ambient noise such as sea wave, wind is so loud. Even if I go submerged and inside my sub, it's still there. Once I had heavy and bad weather, the noise wouldn't go away any more. And it drowns out all other noise such as crew reverberating my command.

2. Deck watch won't go inside boat once the sub is submerged. They would still stick around on deck underwater

3. Sometimes at high time compression (4k-3kish), you sub would suddenly stop for no reason. Speed just suddenly falls down to 0.
Those are all symptoms of having shelled-out to Windows. As you stated above for shake307, this is an ~old~ DirectX v9.0c game. If you did much game-playing in Windows XP, you did NOT leave the game, else things went wonky. While Windows got better at that with Vista and Win7 (quite by accident), Windows 8, 10 & 11 have not bothered to attempt any improvements - on purpose. They do not want you playing old games. They want you buying new, at least every three years... Sorry, let me kick the MS-dissing soapbox away...

Anyway, whether you shell out on purpose to go use the calculator or do email, or maybe Windows does it for you with a "Notification" from the systray, it does trash the game, which expects everything to be where it put it, at actual off-set addresses. This happens whether you play stock, or a modded version. With 'modern' Windows, everything is flat memory and "virtual machine", so Windows puts each session of SH4 in its own little sandbox area to play with, in a restricted memory space. When you shell-out, Windows might reassign the buffers the game uses and then you get some strange anomalies. Even if Windows doesn't trash the buffers for the game, the game itself does not like losing focus, and has issues when you give the game section the focus again.

Also, with Time Compression, it is recommended to not go over 2048, and it is better if you do not go over 1024 actually. The "busier" it is around your boat, the worse that can get. Anything over 256x has the potential to mess up the sound stream, Stock or modded again, of course. The more powerful your computer, the more you can abuse TC, but it is best to be "safe" about it, and stay at 2048x or below. Nothing of course, prevents you from experimenting and trying to find what your computer can do in that regard.

If you do end up with anomalies as you describe, or if you end up with a steam cloud over your boat that just follows you everywhere, then Save the game with a new, unique name. EXIT THE GAME. Do not attempt to re-load a Saved game unless you first Exit. Then re-start the game, load your Save, and continue. This Exiting of the game also applies if you "change modes", such as doing a SingleMission or the Museum, in that before you go to another "mode" in the game, Exit, and then re-start. Someone didn't do their C alloc properly in the game. in other words, it does not clean up well after itself... Your sound, video and other "streams" should be back to somewhat "normal", whatever that is in SH4, especially as it relates to Windows...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote