View Single Post
Old 03-12-22, 04:24 PM   #25
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon8 Run fast; punt deep...and wear yer mouthguard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I think he’s the one sitting left front row.
That good ol' Hamm's beer-swiller could really "Thai one on"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1
First rule of playing rugby: as soon as you get a hold of the ball, get rid of it ASAP. Having to be peeled out of the ground during rugby at school reinforced that lesson immeasurably.
Indeed! Soccer goalkeeping with punts from the goal crease was cross-training for my punting the rugby ball well down field to bounce out of touch for the line-outs; The other cross-training was wrestling takedowns as Rugby tackles; utterly indispensable for a small hooker vs a 280 lb prop or second row behemouth!! The other trick for a speedy 140 pounder, me, was never to pick up the ball in a loose ruck-instantly fatal! but rather to foot it soccer-style even as others bent to reach for it...as I got close to the end-zone; Some dolt would excitedly check or bump me off the dribble; drawing a "playing the man without the ball'' penalty kick, or on a few occasions, the umpire would award a penalty try outright. If in a scrum near our own end zone I would break out of the scrum and retire into the endzone to await the ball carrier head-on trapping the ball between and falling on my back so that there was no downward pressure placement of the ball on the ground for try. The umpire would blow dead ball and we'd have a 5 yard scrum! I did this to one poor fellow three times within 5 minutes and on the 3rd such scrum finally cleared the ball waaaay downfield with a punt....He, scoreless the whole game, was not happy with me at the post game Hamm's kegger! One thing I could never do, regrettably, was drop-kick on the run for field goals...That was our player-coach ex-Irish Shamrock's job!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-13-22 at 12:23 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote