View Single Post
Old 03-15-21, 05:51 PM   #37
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I randomly set 30 kn as maximum speed and 10 kn as minimum speed. I don't see a reason why you couldn't set, say, 1 kn as minimum.

I don't think so, considering that defining one of plane's machine gun barrels as left wing in Goblin does absolutely nothing to its ability to stay in the air.

EDIT: From what I see, it seems to be very simple: engine power and mass affect speed, so does turning and damage. If speed falls below stall speed ("minimum speed"), plane falls. If hitpoints drop to zero, it explodes and falls.
Yes, it all makes sense. Engine damage might decrease speed; wing damage might increase minimum speed. If that was true, we should set the gondola as the main fuselage, and the balloon itself as the wing with a disproportionately high hitpoint value, so that damaging it will decrease blimp's buoyancy (but making it to fall down would take an impossible amount of AA bullets).

EDIT:

After all, it shouldn't be impossible for an U-boat to set those hard-asses of fire, thus making them to collapse into the sea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/wwii-submarine-hunting-blimps/

One of the airships’ most famous battles came on the coast of Florida when the K-74 spotted a German sub [...].

Unfortunately, the submarine crew spotted the attacking airship and lit the low-flying vessel up with the sub’s anti-aircraft guns while the airship dropped two depth charges.

The consequences were immediate and severe for the blimp. The air envelope was severely damaged and set on fire by the German guns. The crew was able to extinguish the fire, but they could not maintain altitude and slowly settled into the sea.
The envelope shouldn't explode though since, as with every US airship, it was filled with helium rather than with the highly explosive hydrogen.

Last edited by gap; 03-15-21 at 08:14 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote