View Single Post
Old 07-02-21, 06:00 AM   #37
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Hope for celiac desease patients:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2032441

In Germany, around 1 in 100 is affected. Just years ago, it were 1 in 500. A new generation of technical encymes used in industrial bread-baking, helping to reduce the fermentation times and thus not doing the job anymore that fermentation (and that means necessarily: time) is meant to do, has entered the industrial baking factories. I see at least a timely correlation with the increase in numbers of people being affected by celiac desease (and claimed Gluten sensitivity, which however is over-diagnosed by a factor of around 30) and digestive problems after having eaten such bread. These encymes are so incredibly potent that they must be dosed with a precision in the range of 1-2 mg per 1 ton of flour. Imagine what they do in your body if they are not properly mixed and evenly distributed, but reach your system accidentally in an even just marginally concentrated form.

Many people do not know that EVERY consummation of wheat leads to inflammatory events in the guts, every single bite of wheat. Its just that in the healthy person and with wheat in a properly treated form (long fermentation), these inflammations usually stay below a treshhold level (above which we indeed would notice them in form of pain in the guts).

Eat less cereals. I eat a loaf of bread, am done with it after 2 or 3 days - and then do not eat any bread for the coming 10 days or so. I love the taste of good, fresh bread, I will not completely abandon it therefore - but I have reduced the consummation levels, its no longer a daily food of mine (even more reocmmended sinc I aolos eat pizza... ). And if you do, eat cereals in a fermented form, and that means: longer fermentation times (doughs!) is better than short ones. Industry bread I would avoid, ready baking mixtures from the supermarket shelves for home baking I would avoid as well.

Thats one of the two reasons why I let my pizza doughs rest for 2-3 days (the other is improved elasticity and consistency of the dough, and a bit more of arome and a reduction of yeast and its unwanted taste). Its also the reason why after 3, 4 years of laziness I am moving back to baking my bread myself (which I did for over 25 years already, almost 30 years). I do not tolerate the baker's bread too well. Oh, it tastes good, some of them at least, but since I eat them, I have again and again ininflammatory events in my guts, pain that lasts for 1-3 days. When I do not eat this short-time-fermented bread, which happens a lot over the past 12+ months, I have no problems at all. And its not the gluten. I use lots of gluten for my own baking, since it improves the dough when I grind my own flour freshly: bread or pizza, you cannot get an elastic, soft, juicy dough without gluten). I use a household bread baking machine where you put in the ingredients and the rest does the machine. The problem is that its programmes has the bread ready 4-5 hours later - super short fermentation time, that means. Therefore, I interrupt the process, I let it work the dough and mix it for the initial 20 minutes or so - and then switch the machine off. I come back to it 18-24 hours later, and then activate directly the baking program. 25 hours this way, 4-5 hours the automatic program's way. Go figure.

In the old days, the use of sour dough was right about this: long fermentation times, and having the chemical agents and molecules by which the grain defends itself against its enemies eating it (us), getting neutrlaised. Toda,y this tiem is not invested anykore sinstea dhighly aggressiove encymes get used to skip it, and these encymes enter your system. Bon appetite, dont complain.