View Single Post
Old 10-19-17, 01:10 AM   #22
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
All that said, it seems like the kit-bashed Mk 45 that Killerfish made is closer in terms of plausibility than anything else suggested so far. They had the same body diameter as the 37 and the 45 already had wire guidance. Now whether that seeker would function at all at the higher speed is beyond me...
It depends on how you look at it. One of the reasons the Mk 45 was created in the first place is because at the time the US Navy didn't have a seeker / couldn't make a homing torpedo which would work at that speed. While the later mods of the Mk 37 (2 and 3) did receive upgraded transducers, their speeds were unchanged so its hard to say whether this would have been addressed by that upgrade.

That said, the Mk 46 was in service by that time, and it had a seeker that would function at or beyond that speed so its not like it would have been impossible to achieve such a thing at that time. As far as I know though there was no consideration given by the Navy for a conventional Mk 45, the later "Freedom torpedo" program apparently used a type of wake-homing guidance and from what I can piece together wasn't intended for ASW use.