View Single Post
Old 10-15-17, 08:11 AM   #18
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Yeah kind of. The Mk 16 was never considered an ASW weapon and wasn't designed with that in mind. As I mentioned earlier, it was limited to a depth of 200 ft and had no seeker of any kind, unless you want to count the magnetic influence exploder(which I think was back by the time the war ended, in a much improved, non-Mk 14 debacle form).

As far as I'm able to tell the depth control consisted merely of a pre-set which was intended to run the torpedo under the keel of its intended target, so pretty much the exact same as the pre-WW2 Mk 14.

As for the Mk 48, no its not included in the 1968 campaign unless by mod. You are correct that the Mk 48 development dates back to the 1950s and some of the test fish were probably shot as early as 1968 but it wasn't really until the 72 that they started deploying them to the fleet, and even then it wasn't until about 76-78 where they became the mainline weapon as the Mk 37s began to be mostly retired.

The Mk 48 development is actually quite interesting because it was initially conceived as basically a really fast Mk 37 (would have actually had a lighter warhead than the Mk 37 but used a more potent explosive) and overtime was changed to become the new general purpose ASW/ASUW weapon of choice as the old straight runners were obsolete and aging out of service.

OK. It sounds like as far as making any big time mods to Mk16 and the '68 campaign, we're more or less out of luck except for your seeker head mod. Unless there was a way to straight up just add the earliest version of the Mk48 to the campaign and have it show up at a certain date, I don't think I have anything else to add, except maybe making the Mk37 a wee bit faster.....say 30 kts tops. Unfortunately it probably isn't very historically accurate. I dunno, this is going way above my pay grade now, I think I'll shut up and let those of you smarter than me figure this one out.

"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote