View Single Post
Old 03-07-23, 09:26 PM   #3
JconradH
Swabby

Downloads: 219
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your reply, Propbeanie!

This is the original Silent Hunter (Commander's Edition). I cannot prioritize repairs, they just happen.

I have the early SJ radar- this patrol was March 1942. From much reading, the early SJ radar was not as effective as the later versions as a career progresses in SH, as well as the real war, so sometimes the sightings happen before we get a radar warning. Pretty scary.

SH manual says the P Class boats were notoriously slow at diving. On a patrol in Northern Japan in January 1942, my radar did pickup multiple flights of aircraft, and I dove when they were just under 11000 yards away- just in time. In the Gato, Balao, or Tench class boats I have been OK to crash dive at 8000 yards and make it down to 150 feet safely.

I cannot remember any fires in the past 4 years of playing. I've had chlorine gas plenty of times, lol. It certainly adds to the tension and excitement- hoping the fire gets put out before having to surface and get bombed and or strafed again.

I have to say I do appreciate that I don't have to tell my crew to rest, make meals, load torpedoes, and effect repairs; that's why as captain I have officers and crew.
JconradH is offline   Reply With Quote