View Single Post
Old 06-16-17, 12:39 AM   #27
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
I've been interested in this game since I heard of it. Seems very Dangerous Waters like. However, for a sim which is supposed to be tactical command, the manual driving in three dimensions through key commands seems unreasonable unless you have VoiceAttack which seems to be all but mandatory at this point. No waypoint navigation while you have a tactical map seems unreasonable also. Given the price, I would expect a better interface. I'm holding off on my purchase until I see some UI refinements. Seems you put a lot of work into graphics (ships, ice, water, sky, etc. looks fine) and sea warfare has detailed physics but the UI seems more like "just enough" for the devs to test the game while frustrating the player. I remember all the finesse in the attack setup I learned in DW and RSR and looking forward to getting back in the seat once I see some improvement.
-Pv-
I started off with the same feeling, however, as I got the hang of the controls I actually appreciate the way it is done now.

I know automated steering is a popular request, but IMO people should try to acclimatize themselves on the game as it is meant to be played rather than (it seems) insisting on DW-style play as the "gold-standard". Because remember, TMA is completely automated, as is detection. If you automate steering as well, then CW turns de facto into DWlite with better graphics and you might as well go play DW - I mean, I understand it's on Steam now if you lost your disc.

The extra effort it takes to maneuver your boat actually causes you to maneuver it more cautiously than in DW, simply because otherwise it'll be hard to control. Have you ever forced your DW boat into a hard right turn and even added speed just to speed up the turn and then at the last minute told your helmsman the course you want to steer and let him "fix" your reckless shiphandling? Have you deliberately set a massive depth just to trick the algorithm into giving you more dive angle and then (again) told the planesman your real desired depth at the last minute and make him fix it for you? Or got forbid, did a short emergency blow using the MBT to increase the climb rate, then vented the tanks (they vent almost immediately in DW) and again told the planesman to clean up your mess and settle you at perfect periscope depth?

One thing no game can ever do no matter it's realism is getting you to not realize that ultimately you are in your bedroom and not a real sub. Because of this, you will take chances you will never take with the real boat - unless the game doesn't let you get away with that. And I see manual control as CW's way of making sure you will actually steer it like a real sub because you will have to clean up the mess of your reckless maneuvers, not the automated control.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote