View Single Post
Old 03-25-21, 10:53 AM   #2952
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
I did store some of them 'Cuties' on board... for use as a defense measure for DD/DE's. Only thing I have to say is... only downside to them is.. of having them get drawn off target by your own self.. even at speeds of 1 knot, trying to creep away...

Had to, go all stop and scratch & claw for the depths, to avoid getting slammed by them... once... or twice...
this might be an appropriate time to share a Mk27 experience.

as you have, i also like to pack a mk27 or two in the aft torpedo room when going on patrol.
through experience, i find that the mk27 will, from time to time, not track to a perfectly good target just ahead of it.
not sure why but it is what it is.
now the tricky part. in a moment of desperation, when we really needed an errant mk27 to find the effin DD on our six, i went to flank speed...at periscope depth. even though the mk27 was headed away from us (and the target), she detected our noise and did a 180 back towards us (and the target).
at that time, i used our speed to gain depth and took her down while slowing down and the little bugger transferred its attention to the effin DD and that was that. Whew, lady!
inspiration is 99% desperation.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote