View Single Post
Old 07-30-13, 02:31 PM   #148
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

OK, I remembered my password.

Reading this thread reminded me how I was involved with Dr Sid and a few others to make a community sub sim. Started out with the basic world, getting the physics right and a few decent 3d models to play with.

The idea was to make a Sub Command / Dangerous Waters type sim. It failed due to real life, as you can see I hardly post here anymore, too busy with family.

I'd love to see a Sub Command type sim but without the flaws. IE a dynamic scenario that was less scripted, ie wouldn't play out the same way if you played it over and over, better AI etc. I like Dangerous Waters but in the end I think it lost focus, tried to do too many things in one package.

As for being a modder. Yes sometimes the expectations are high, people asking when the next sub will be ready, when such a function will be done, and then getting crucified if it doesn't meet expectations or doesn't work as they thought it would. I've been involved in my fair share of disagreements, being just as quilty of going off on one.

I also wouldn't like a full systems sim. I'm happy enough to tell my sub which direction and what depth I want it to go. I don't want to go to the point of fiddling with my trim tanks or running up the reactor. Though better damage control would be good.

Anyway I'd love to see a good community subsim, or even a commercial one but I don't think it's going to happen.