View Single Post
Old 05-12-23, 07:55 AM   #1966
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

A too sensitive beast.

https://www-faz-net.translate.goog/a...pp#pageIndex_5

If I were the supreme decision-making top-of-the-food-chain commander of an army and wanted to buy a new IFV, I would look at the Puma's tremendous firepower and superior agility, and put it up against its extreme susceptibility to breakdowns and costly maintenance logistics - and I would reject the Puma for the latter reason.

In war, robust workhorses are needed that are tough and persistent in any weather, not neurotic, highly bred racehorse primadonnas that stay in the barn every other day because the barn temperature was two degrees too low at night and her sensible Highnesses didn't dream pleasantly enough. The Puma is just way too sensitive and way too logistics-intensive for my taste. I also do not like that the Bundeswehr cannot alone maintain the Puma, but depends essentially on industry workers being present and doing the work. And when I think that chains and gears only last a fraction of the kilometers that they do on the Leopard, then they have to be completely replaced, then I really have a crisis. Who designs such nonsense...? What will happen to such luxury logistics chains if there is a war? War means scarcity, not abundance. Combat means maximum stress, wear and tear, not maximum conservation.