Old 05-23-22, 05:56 AM   #11
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Thanks chaps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
May I ask, do you spray a clear gloss varnish before you apply decals? And do you use Micro Set and Sol?
I personally always do gloss before decals. It can inexplicably be a bit of a hot subject within the scale modelling community but IMHO glossing gives the absolute best possible conditions for the best possible results. Sure you don't HAVE to gloss with modern decal setting solutions but there's a higher risk of getting silvering.

I do use Micro Set/Sol, and I've also been using the VMS equivalents too which I find work really well. For me the 'Set' portion, i.e. the adhesive isn't as necessary as the softening part so sometimes I forgo that bit.

Incidentally, I have also had really excellent results simply using Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinners as a decal softening solution, I find it actually gets better results with a wider range of decals than most other dedicated softeners I've tried.

I've tried most decal solutions on the market previously - Daco Strong, Tamiya Markfit Medium/Strong, Mr Hobby Softer (NOT the Neo version) and I have to say I've never got any of those to work.

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote