Old 09-25-23, 01:27 AM   #12
Submon
Nub

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
A long post - sorry.

Hoosten! Wow! No sorry here, I thank you very much!

Not did you only answered very quickly, you also did so with many useful details and all that on a question that wasn't even related to the thread!

You gave me ideas, I didn't even think about trying the onboad INTEL GPU or different drivers for the NVIDIA.

I used so far only the NVIDIA with the proprietary drivers.

So after reading your post, first I wincfg my SH3 PREFIX to use d3d9 native and windowed mode just in case. Then I tried the open-source nouvella drivers (it's a GeForce 610M). Reboot. White smoke. Then I tried the INTEL (HD 3000) GPU but I didn't find a driver place, so I guess I used the standard drivers that Linux chose for me. Reboot. Also white smoke, unfortunately.

AFAIK my NVIDIA isn't supporting vulkan. It's an old 2012 laptop, the only good about it is the upgraded RAM.

So, it seems for now that I ran out of options. Gotta play with white smoke for a while.
However, since this is only a temporary OS (it's an old Linux Mint 19.3 that I had flying around. I plan to go to the newest Mint as soon as I have some harddrive to backup my data) I'll probably be trying again, soon. I am thinking about trying a virtual XP OS, but I doubt my hardware is stong enough for that, but maybe the 16 GB RAM allow it anyway. If that also doesn't work, I even consider doing a dual boot.

Thanks again. If I manage to solve this, I plan to start a new threat on this forum just to document it for maybe others, it seems that white smoke is a problem for some, and for future me.

Edit: I just realized that there are already threats about the white smoke issue here in this forum. Funnily I have read them several times without realizing that I'm in the same place.

Last edited by Submon; 09-26-23 at 12:18 AM.
Submon is offline   Reply With Quote