View Single Post
Old 09-23-23, 09:41 AM   #11
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Nvidia linux smoke problem?

A long post - sorry.

The Wine package for Linux has its own drivers for directX and its own version of d3d9.dll. You can download Microsoft's version using winetricks, which I vaguely remember works OK. You may also use winetricks to generate a version of directX running on top of the Vulkan graphics compatibility layer. In my experience Vulkan just slows things down.

To get higher resolutions for sh3 on all OS a hacked version of d3d9.dll is put in the sh3 directory which fixes the display resolution to the one called up in the accompanying d3d9.ini rather than the one requested by sh3.exe. Unlike real Windows Wine will only use a local dll if you deliberately tell it to do so using winecfg, hence the overrides. The display resolution and refresh rate must be ones supported by your hardware. If you like you can set refresh rate to "false" in this file to help things along.

I've recently inherited a desktop PC even older than my laptop. I thought I could add a graphics card and get decent gaming performance, but it's actually a little bit slower overall!

My laptop uses the default Mesa open source drivers to work its Intel integrated graphics. I get black smoke.

My desktop now has an old Nvidia card. i again use the default Mesa drivers but this time they are sitting on top of an open source Nvidia graphics driver included in Mesa called Nouveau. I get white smoke.

I then run "winetricks dxvk" to make Wine use its Vulkan based directX implementation. Frame rate drops by about half (3fps for me!!!) and I get black smoke.

So the big question is what happens if you use the official Nvidia linux drivers? I've no idea because the desktop AMD processor is too old to run them! Try installing them and post back your result.

Last edited by Hooston; 09-24-23 at 02:05 AM.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote