View Single Post
Old 05-01-23, 02:14 PM   #5422
trebby
Medic

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You should have a separate copy of SH4 for each mod you want to use (within reason, of course). You also cannot be in a Windows "protected" folder, such as Program Files. Looking at your JSGME grab, you are in "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \..." (downloaded version??), and Windows rolls back a lot of the changes made to the folder that JSGME (or you) makes. The picture files are not rolled back, but anything with a cfg extension (and others) are, which results in a odd mix. You also must empty the Save folder between mod config changes, because JSGME puts the changes into the game folder, and the game then populates the Save folder, but does NOT over-write existing files there, which results in more of a mish-mash of a mod mix. Then there is the need to use an app like the 4Gig Patch or Large Address Aware (LAA) on the SH4.exe file to have Windows give the app more memory space to play in. The KSD mod comes with a patched copy of the file, which is why it works OK. You might have 64 Gig of RAM on your machine, but Windows still only allows a small sandbox for the 32-bit apps to play in. Using a memory applet like the 4Gig Patch or LAA tells Windows that the SH4.exe file is able to address more memory, and it therefore allows it more.

I would suggest un-installing what you have, and deleting the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder (easier to get to in Win10 & 11 with the Quick Access or This PC shortcuts in File Manager). Then re-install the game, and when the installer asks you where you want to install the game, change the path to a folder you make, such as "C:\Games \Ubisoft..." You can install to the default if you want, but once you have the game installed fresh, select your game folder (Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific), and <Ctrl><C> to copy it. You could come out to the "root" Games folder (C:\Games\) that you created and paste it there, or put it where you want to (other than a Program Files folder... ). Once all of the files are copied over, change the name of the game folder to whatever mod you're going to add to it. You can do that however many times you want to, re-naming the folder each time. Download MultiSH4 v1.5 from SubSim, un-zip it and put a copy of that in the root game folder of each of your copies. Download the NTCore 4Gig Patch, unzip it, and put a copy in each folder. Navigate to the root of each of your game copies, select the "SH4.exe" and the "FileManager.dll" file in those folders, right-click and choose "Properties". On the first "General" tab toward the bottom is the "Attributes" section. Make certain the "Read-only" tick box is empty. OK your way out. Now with just the SH4.exe selected, do the same right-click and "Properties", only this time, use the "Compatibility" tab, and either click on the "Run compatibility troubleshooter" and go through it to set the Properties, or do it yourself. You will most likely need to tick the "Disable fullscreen optimizations", and probably have to use the "Change high DPI settings" button, and then set the "High DPI scaling override" to "Application". You might also need to "Run this program as an administrator" and to use the "Compatibility mode". On this computer, I have a 4k monitor, but I cannot see anything at that resolution, so I set the game to 2048 instead, but I then have to set the Scaling to "When I start this application" also. You will have to experiment with those settings.

Once you have those, run the 4Gig Patch app, navigate it into the game folder you are currently in, and select the SH4.exe file. You should then get a little message window "Executable successfully patched! [OK]" If not, then either you are in the wrong folder, or the SH4.exe is NOT write-able, so check your patch, and check the Properties & that "Read-only" tick box again, and try the 4Gig Patch again. After you have that, run the MultiSH4.exe file in the game folder, and type in a new, unique, 3-character "name" for the Save folder. "SH4" is used by the Stock game (still in your Ubisoft folder), so what I like to do is name the Save folder after the mod I'm using, such as "KSD" for that mod, "TMO" for that one, "FRS" (or similar) for FotRSU, etc. Once you have all of that done, then - and only then - you can apply the mod set you want. But keep the KSD files in your KSD copy of SH4, your OM-DW files in that copy, your FotRSU files in that copy, etc. With each copy of SH4 having their own unique "Save" folder, all of the copies are segregated and their own entities, not interfering with each other, and Windows not interfering with them... usually...

I probably forgot something important in all of that, so since you have the FotRSU mod, look in its Support folder for the various pdf files with help. There is "Install Notes For SH4.pdf" and "Activating Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition.pdf", along with the "100_FotRSU_ReadMe.pdf" that all mention various aspects of installing SH4 and / or activating FotRSU, which does apply to the other mods, other than the names of what you are activating. FotRSU also has LAA and the 4Gig Patch, along with MultiSH4 as part of the mod package. Look in the mod's root folder, or the Extras \AddInToolsPak folders.

The Oracle speaks.... and so It worked!

Thanks again for setting me up.

Only thing with multiple copies of the game is that only if I change the name to the original title of "SH4 Gold Edition" in the game folder the game runs, with any mods and just fine.
Have to re-change the name in my gamefolder (outside of any program files)
If I want another modded version.