View Single Post
Old 11-17-19, 05:24 AM   #5384
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

I sunk the HMS Hood!

I wish i'd taken some screenshots as I was doing it, I had no idea which ship it was though, I made contact slightly after 2am on 8th of November 1940. A huge allied task force comprised of Battle ships with a side guard of Destroyers and Cruisers happened to be coming directly towards my allocated patrol sector of BF 15 SW of the Scilly isles. I went into silent running and sat there at periscope depth where I calculated the task force would pass.

However I ended up being much closer to the central line of battleships than I had planned, I let the 1st battleship go past as I crawled backwards then upped periscope and let loose a salvo of 4 torpedos from U-93 at 5 second intervals. All 4 hitting the same spot on the starboard rear of HMS hood. I crash dived immediately and took U-93 down to 120 metres, 4 destroyers were circling the sinking Hood pinging me and dropping depth charges.

The only place I had to hide was directly beneath the heavily listing but stationary hood at 120m depth where I waited for 4 hours, oxygen running very low, constantly looking out for the worrying message of "She's going down!" which would mean I would either lose my cover or get crushed or both. The last destroyer finally stopped circling and went to re-join the task force.

It didn't look to be sinking any further so I returned to surface and gave HMS Hood the coup de grāce with the Stern torpedo. At which point she sunk to the depths..

This is my first proper campaign run with Oxygen, batteries, fuel, Compressed air and realistic damage enabled (I'm not quite up to manual targeting or navigation yet) and I never managed anything like that even on Easy mode, I usually would act like a true noob and let off torpedo's at about 3000m distance and leg it whenever I saw a convoy or task force, or go crashing into a submarine net/mine even on easy mode. I feel like I have now truly experienced the fun of this game for the first time, when a situation seems completely dire and all odds are against you yet you prevail.

Last edited by FeatsOfStrength; 11-17-19 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Edited for grammar
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote