View Single Post
Old 08-31-17, 01:24 PM   #4
Beastie boy
Nub

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The wonderful world of Windows has changed a bit since you last played probably. Windows XP was the last "polite" version of Windows. Since then, Microsoft has introduced us to User Access Control (UAC) and other "goodies" that are ostensibly designed to protect us from ourselves. What this entails is a protection scheme on Microsoft's part that does not allow changes to the Program Files (x86) folder structure, especially anything with an exe, dll or cfg extension. Mods are rife with cfg files, so when you start the game up, Windows "sees" that someone has been naughty and changed the files in your game folder without Windows' authorization, so being the helpful curmudgeon that Windows is, it puts the original files back. So it ~looks~ like your mod activated fine, but in reality, it did not.

De-activate all the mods in the game and then un-install the game once again. You really shouldn't need to use a registry cleaner, unless you still have trouble after this, but just try to re-install the game. When it comes up with the screen with the install path, you want to change that from "C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter..." to something else. About the easiest thing to do is to just delete the "\ Program Files (x86)" part of the install path, and just use "C:\ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter..." as the install folder. But use whatever you want to. Just do NOT install into the "root" C:\ drive, else you'll have similar issues. Once you are re-installed, try the mods again and see how you get along. If you've already done this, "oops" says I... we'll try something else.
OK did all that. Un- installed. Made a new UBIsoft directory on my D drive in the root. not in any of the program files directory. and guess what.... No difference. To get it to run had to run as Admin in win 7 compatibility mode otherwise black screens after intro movie. so just added TMO and started SH4 up. I get the v\vanilla gold splash screen and the game looks vanilla to me. Is there any way to find out in game if TMO 2.5 is working? So uninstalled TMO and put in RFB, get the same and the game looks exactly the same. So uninstalled that and put in TMO and RSRD tmo502 and the patch. This crashes the game after the intro film. Also I'm a big fan of setting up the shot turning of position keeper setting gyro angle to 0 with the scope to target specific areas of the ship. Any way of getting the TDC or gyro angle up in the scope view? Or is it DOK method for the win the only way here?

So right now I have the game in d:\ubisoft\SH4 JSGME running in the same folder. can't see any of the mods affecting the game on start up. Tried using the Ubisoft shortcut and a direct shortcut to the exe file as well still the same issues. p. s I managed to get GWX3 gold working on SH3 in the x86 folder no problem. need to read the manual because the attack interfaces are all different but I can do that later.

Again thanks for the help. Getting the game running isn't a problem but vanilla sucks soooo much.

BB
Beastie boy is offline   Reply With Quote