View Single Post
Old 01-18-23, 04:58 AM   #1326
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybaldy View Post
I'm currently playing the pre-war Pearl Harbour Campaign, I've done my prewar patrols and I'm on mission 3. I was at sea when the Pearl Harbour attack happened, so unfortunately I missed the scripted attack.

I've been given an assignment to pull up to Japan and take photos of Yokohama Port. Problem is, the entry to Yokohama and Kawasaki is shallow as all hell, and there are two destroyers patrolling side to side across the only entry.

I've tried running silent at 1 knot and slipping between them when they're facing away, but I can't slip past before they turn around, blast their lights and start pinging.

I've tried being completely motionless on the bottom before they turn around but again, the lights come on and the pinging starts. There's also a smaller boat that motors around at high speed with depth charges and, I'm assuming, a hydrophone, because on the off chance I do make a little headway, that boats jets to me at full speed and starts dropping depth charges on me, Destroyer flares go up and the whole thing starts again.

I feel like I might be missing something here. Did I just luck out and get a mission that can't be completed? The distance shore to shore in that pass is so narrow that the destroyers cover it before I can make any kind of move to navigate the pass. On the off chance the planets align, the Destroyers are facing away from each other and I get a brief gap, that smaller boat comes motoring in hard right on top of me.

What am I doing wrong here?
barry,

good question! you are not doing anything wrong.
those missions, which we-veteran-kaleuns refer to as Hollywood missions, are almost impossible to complete.
when you draw one of those missions, it is best to let it be, sail to an area where you feel you can sink some ships and go and do just that.
there is no penalty for an uncompleted objective, other than you do not receive the points for completing it.
restart the mission and go and sink some ships!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote