View Single Post
Old 09-17-21, 10:30 AM   #198
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostfriese View Post
Sinking two BB for sure and likely a third (you sound quite confident that Mutsu has been sunk, too) is no small feat, so despite the uncertainty of the situation this has to be logged as a major victory for you, so congratulations.

Losing the Mississippi is painful, but with the South Dakotas coming up (historically they joined the US Navy over the summer of 1942) it's not the end of the world.

Two questions about the game:

a) Can the Japanese player rush both BB and CV production? You mentioned in an earlier post that your opponent must have rushed the Hiyo-class carriers because he used them earlier than historically. Can he rush the production of BB at the same time, or will this have the opposite effect (rushing the carriers results in slowing the production of BB and/or CA)?
The Japanese economy is complicated enough to do both, but probably at the expense of something else. There are shipyards producing "naval points" that can be used to accelerate production. The shipyards can be expanded by expending heavy industry points and supply. Realistically, if Japan is going to accelerate something large, they have to halt something else. Putting enough HI and supply into expanded shipyards to be able to do both would probably involve major sacrifices to aircraft production and R&D.

Quote:
b) Can the Japanese player produce ahistorical units, like Shinano as a BB, the fourth Yamato class (warship 111, in reality cancelled early in 1942 when about 30% completed) or even the completely hypothetical A-150 class battleships?
And does the Allied industry produce ahistorical units like the Montanas or the second group of the Midway-class (if the game lasts that long, of course)?
Everything that's produced is, I think, historical. But many ships have conversion options, so you can switch them to ahistoical versions of themselves after you get them. From my last campaign as Japan I recall I could covert some BB into carriers, just not very good ones.