View Single Post
Old 12-16-10, 04:19 AM   #450
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Wonderful! I can't tell you how pleased and happy I am that you are making this mod, WWI has so little representation in the world of sims.... and your work is great to see. If you need deck or ship details i may be able to help you as i have been studying the Imperial High Seas Fleet and the Grand Fleet for many years and have commanded both in engagements for the Naval Wargames Society in the UK, and in waterline model engagements of many kinds and also have been working with a WWI mod for Destroyer Command called Iron Seas that modeled most of the major units but much less detail. I can dig for info for you if that will ever help and mostly want to cheer you on..for making a long detailed mod is a huge task.... but in this case worth every erg of energy you can put to it.

A remarkable effort! I had photographs of many of the ships you list inherited from my grandfather who was a commodore in the US navy and was on the Armistice Commission that was in charge of disposition of the High Seas Fleet at the end of the war..inluding bombing tests carried out on allocated german ships by the US airforce....sadly they are in San Diego and I am in Colorado...but as time goes by i may be able to get to them

Carry on and thank you so much.

ps remember German Torpedo boats were painted black often for camoflage but not always....

if you do the Scharnhorst class AC it would be great to be able include a surface ship mod that might allow us to do Coronel and Falklands
I hope you're feeling better.

A surface component is indeed being considered, but considering that a beta for the sub component alone is maybe 1.5 years away (at least) don't expect anything exciting for the near future!

And yes, it would indeed be interesting to recreate Coronel. I have a great interest in British armored cruisers, and I would love to design the "Monmouth" and "Good Hope" (as I posted earlier, the Drake class, of which G.H. was a member, is definitely slated for inclusion as a submarine target). With proper interiors for the pilothouse and a couple other rooms it could be an interesting ship to command.

As for the submarines, about 3 days ago I decided not to use HMS Undine as a basis for the U-20 and U-35. I tried using the "USS Brooklyn" as a parent instead (turned out horribly) and then decided to redo it from scratch.

I got off to a good start - only to lose it all during a crash while playing Warband. Today I restarted the U-35, making sure to save my work, and got great results ingame. A smooth-looking hullform with low polys, and miraculously, no flickering/shimmering. Now I need to rework the stern and texture-map the whole thing. I may keep the conning tower as an integral part of the hull, because there will not be any CT upgrades for the U-35 during the war.

Pics are below (many details still need to be included). The model on the right is the U-35 from "Shells of Fury", which was only used as a reference - no parts were "borrowed".

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote