View Single Post
Old 01-18-24, 06:55 AM   #13
ShotgunFeline
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
It would depend on the navy your writing about for example the procedure on crimson time is fairly accurate for the USN but its a completely different procedure for the Royal Navy.

The RN doesn't use the PAL codes although some elements of the USN procedures are present such as "set condition 1SQ" (depending on launch type will depend on what comes next).

Theres a set routine including coming to depth and commencing hovering, the call to action stations missile and a procedure to check the letter of last resort ect.

It's taking place on board a Soviet sub (1980's era). I've been doing some reading on what they use as a state of readiness as they don't have DEFCON or the UK's very interestingly named BIKINI - "British Imperial Kinetic Integrated Networked Information," (Someone must have been having a laugh when they came up with that). The Soviet one from what I have found so far just seems to be a state of readiness from 1-4, with 1 being peacetime and 4 being at war.

Back on the track though, the reason I referenced the procedure from Crimson Tide was that within this short story, during that announcement I wanted to portray some of the control rooms reactions as it is being issued. So that when the crew hear what state they are at, I can drill into their expressions and whatnot.

As it's not easy to find and based on the previous posts, I'm thinking of tweaking the announcement so the Captain would be saying something along the lines of (Very roughly so far) "Set condition 4 and prepare for missile launch". With a bit more detail and a scripted approach to it
ShotgunFeline is offline   Reply With Quote