View Single Post
Old 01-29-18, 11:57 AM   #1
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Yay, I have WoS!!! Now just a few questions...

Hallo folks - I picked up SH5 a loooong time ago, tried it a couple of times, said 'meh' and went back to SH4. But since 4 is now practically unplayable I decided to turn my attention to 5.

The downside is I bought the mess on Scream so most of the mods (WoS included) couldn't be used.
Nevertheless I found the vanilla game to be excellent - unlike SH4 one has a real sense of presence on the sea; long time spent in TC1 is greatly encouraged - it takes longer, is more intimate; you develop a genuine connection to your boat and crew. (And apparently the interior of a Type VIIB is exactly the same as the interior of a Type II...who knew? lol)

At any rate; I finally mustered up the patience to muckle my way through the convoluted process of getting WoS to work and have finally got it running.
Folks, I am GOBSMACKED; this is incredible! BRILLIANT work - while I found vanilla to be excellent (broken campaigns notwithstanding) this upgrade truly takes it to another level - marvelous!

I have had many questions, but have, slowly, bit by bit, been working my way through the system and have figured almost everything out. Only a couple of things remain, and this is what I would like to ask about.

The big one is determining the draught of the target - I love that the ship types have been vastly increased; quickly found the ship reference and was easily able to identify how to determine distance; that was easy. What I can't find, however, is any way to determine a ship's draught - kind of important when setting torpedo run depth. I have guessed on most of my attacks, guessed wrongly in most cases (lol); is not having draught data historically accurate or is there some way to determine it?

The second question is a slight adjustment I would like to make to my own personal game: that '5 degrees rudder' is just about useless; I would love to change it to either 10 degrees or make the command cumulative - i.e. 3 keypresses = 15 degrees, 4 = 20 etc. I doubt that is possible but how would I find the appropriate setting to adjust that keypress?

Thanks folks; wonderful work!
Captain Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote