View Single Post
Old 08-14-21, 06:19 PM   #2404
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I will try to have sub numbers for early in the war; I have documented evidence they were used in 1914 after the outbreak, but many wartime pictures show no number - I think they may have been painted out for security reasons (correct me if I'm wrong).
Well: all depends with the sub type and period.
As you said, at the outbreak of the War, at last every class from Type U-3 to type U-27 had their sub numbers painted in white, with a smaller marker ( ex. " U-22 " ) right behind the number, on the two sides of the bow. ( an exception to these was the formerly Norwegian sub " U-A", that had an "A" painted on the two sides of the bow).

This system, similar to other navies, like the Royal Navy itself, was used until the end of 1915.

By the entrance in service of type U-31, and especially from 1916, the marking system changed: the smaller marker on the bow remained, but the " lager one" was modified, with the addiction of an "U", reduced and shifted of the to sides of conning tower. it was painted in white or black ( it depends on what type of paint scheme had the submarine itself). This system was used also for the "E" and "Kreuzer" types.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205193798

The "B" and "C" Types had a similar system, with the number of the addiction of the " UB " or "UC" painted in the conning tower, but with no id markers on the bow.

An exception to this sceme was the "B-1" type: they had a large number painted usually in white on the two sides of the conning tower, and a small "UB" on the two sides of the bow ( note that the "ub" was not painted, but printed on the hull )

In the end the system of marking the u-boats was never abandoned by the Imperial German Navy, but the marks were often in black to reduced the possibility to be spotted by an enemy ship.

Hope it could be useful, and sorry if the images are too big, but i don't know any method to reduce their size, while copying them

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)

Last edited by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt; 08-16-21 at 11:10 AM.
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote