Old 08-14-21, 01:27 PM   #2402
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Talking about ships, I have some questions:

- Will warships display the name or the hull markers, just like merchants ?

- There will be ship's name on the Cpt. Log, or just the class, as in the original game ?

- And for the submarines' markers: will we choose the sub's number at the captain's room ( just like the emblems in OM or subs Id markers for SW ) or there will be no markers on our sub ?
Warships will have pennant numbers and even names in some cases. At other times they will have no names/pennants for security reasons - it just depends on what the camouflage demands/policy were.

I don't think there is a way to get merchant ship names in the log except for famous ships of which only 1-2 were built (like Lusitania). If you want to record the names of minor ships you will need to write/type them yourself in a separate log (unless someone can help me with a program).

I will try to have sub numbers for early in the war; I have documented evidence they were used in 1914 after the outbreak, but many wartime pictures show no number - I think they may have been painted out for security reasons (correct me if I'm wrong).

Another interesting feature? I will be including the Royal Navy's funnel band system, which could be used to identify exact ships in a Battleship or Cruiser class! Many people don't pay attention to this feature....but up to 1914, the Royal Navy often marked its major warships with a system of white, red, or orange funnel bands to tell them apart. Look at the pictures below. Two sister ships, but HMS Hampshire has funnel bands on #1 and #4 funnel, while HMS Roxburgh has funnel bands on the middle funnels (#2 and #3) - thus, with a simple ID manual sailors could tell them apart at a glance.

The system was discontinued by the end of 1914.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote