View Single Post
Old 06-18-15, 12:27 PM   #28
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Tonner View Post
Is the States going under a faster social/political/economic change than other countries - bringing with it a sense of fear to some groups?
That's actually a really interesting question, and well put forward, I would echo it being one that needs to be asked.
Certainly the ethos of the United States has always been liberty, freedom and equality, the freedom of the people to be able to live their lives without heavy restriction from the state or government. That being said, those founding thoughts were brought about over two hundred years ago, based upon ideals brought forward many years before that (the French revolution, to name one).
The whole world has undergone massive social, economic and political change in the past one hundred years, and the rate of that change has only increased exponentially over the past five decades. It is scary, sometimes I look at the internet, in particular the way it can basically get into your real life and tear it apart if you should make one false step, and it does scare me. I'm grateful that I went to school when I did, in an era before smart phones and youtube meant that any mistake you made would be recorded for prosperity and kept forever to haunt you.
That being said, you cannot halt progress, some people might try to push back the tide, but eventually they find themselves in deep water and trying to make sense of this new world.

Coming back to this particular individual, I cannot help but find similarities between his words of "You're raping our women and taking over the country." and those people who have the conspiracy theory that Muslims are taking over Europe by breeding indiscriminately. It's that fear of being overtaken and losing dominance in your surrounding nation, the fear of invasion which is a classic fear which stretches back millenia, only usually it's been by another nation rather than by a particular ethnic group.
Will it change? Can it change? I honestly don't know, for some people there's too much profit in the status quo for it to change (and this is for people on both sides here, Sharpton, I'm looking at you) but for others there is a real driving force, and a lot of frustration that things are moving as slow as they are. But move they are, and perhaps things will change, at one point people might have said that Apartheid would never end, and yet it did. So anything is possible.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote