View Single Post
Old 05-18-21, 05:01 PM   #9
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTarana View Post
I've never had any issues with AOD! I use 1024 X Time while patrolling and the only time it changes is during a contact! The wave effects in AOD are Excellent! Attacks by Air Craft are handled Historically too! There is everything from Wildcats to B-17's attacking your sub. I have AOD and CAOD installed.
Yes, they did good with the aircraft attacks and their research. But the problem I am trying to get at is that the game more or less forces you to play in time compression in the campaign, unless you are glued for a month to the screen. If you don't encounter anything on a patrol it will be just one big time compression. Some like it this way, ok. For me, it is the constant management of surfacing to charge batteries, diving, giving orders to man AA guns every single time (god forbid the Wachoffiziere should do this). And then get sunk by something because I did not press the normal time button quickly. Which brings me to another point. For all of AODs strong points and great atmosphere, I feel utterly alone on the boat. The popup window guys could just as well be on Skype. I wish Dynamix had drawn in a couple of sailors and officers in the command room, perhaps with a few animation frames. Fast Attack is one of the few sims to do this, even though it is crude.

Come on, the wave effects on the uboat in AOD are more in line with a rubber duck in a bathtub. The boat is glued to a surface that is oscillating way too fast.

Command: AOD was actually the first version I had back in 1998. Had to buy it as soon as I saw the box. Ran it on Windows 95 with voice recognition even. Even the 12 year old me found it to be a buggy mess, lots of crashes, sound issues, etc.

They came very close to make the perfect sub sim though. I don't mean to sound too harsh. Would be great if someone could finally crack open this game and find ways to mod it. It has happened with old Microprose titles that are normally hard to reverse engineer, maybe in the future?

Last edited by Andreas86; 05-18-21 at 05:10 PM.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote