Thread: [TEC] Help with medals
View Single Post
Old 01-20-23, 10:06 PM   #9
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Ah, capito ...

While lurking around the "menu_1024_768.ini" file I found the reference for the awards. Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to format the text.

data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
data/menu/data/awardsitems_4.dds

are the two files you need to change for the German side (i.e. the Axis). This would apply to Japanese awards to add like the Golden Kite, Rising Sun, etc. These are also the ones to change for the WWI mod that some folks have been working on.

Allied awards in the FotRSU setup are in the same directory, but under the name "CaptainAwards_1" and "CaptainAwards_2" with either a "dds" or "tga" extension. Mine are "tga" since I haven't touched them. The "default" Allied/US files are the awardsitems_1.dds and awardsitems_2.dds images. These are the original files that were later updated with real medals (RUIM mod I think??).

For the items on the left hand side of the box that you click on to see what medal you want to read about, then the files are:

data/menu/Skins/German/gui/layout/Medals.tga

Oddly enough, the file is the same as the crew systems management on my installation, just that it has a different name and it looks like there are numbers there for zones and WHERE on the image to find the things. These are the small versions of the medals along the left side of the awards page.

I could be wrong on this since I'm still rummaging around things and learning, but I believe these are the images you are looking for.

Now, if someone can figure out how to format the words so that they are center-justified while still on the right hand side of the screen ...

Right now I have everything basically lining up on the right hand side of the screen, so it looks like you're reading from right to left.

I've been reading info on the forums more than anything else these past few weekends. I've seen entries for things from logbook entries to a sextant mod, but still haven't found anything that can help with the text of the awards other than you change the text itself (citation language) in the "menu.txt" file.

Hope what little I've been able to figure out has helped.

ElCid97

PS: What medals were you thinking of instituting? The sim has the awards hard-coded from what I've read. With wounded, for example, there's a suposed "threshold" of 40% damage. So if your sub has 40% or more damage, you earn a Purple Heart. Apparently that's why we have a Purple Heart in the updates of the awards and why there's a Wound Badge in the German version of the awards.

Haven't tested that out yet, per say, but I do have two of them in the career I was working on. One time came in with 68% hull damage and the other with a little over 50% hull damage. The Argonaut and the Tambor are built like Timex watches - take a licking and keep on ticking!
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote