View Single Post
Old 05-23-22, 08:52 AM   #19
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I installed it this weekend and had a quick bash around Mid-Ohio in the Ferrari 488. Felt good. I had just driven the 458 at Mid-Ohio in rFactor the day before so it was a good comparison.

The main issue is few in our group run RaceRoom, but I've added to the quiver, making it racing sim number six in my rotation

Automobilista Motorsport Simulator 2 -- Probably my favorite right now. It's quick and easy to set up a server but what really sets it apart is the ability to add AI to the multiplayer races. With filling out a field with humans an impossibility, having AI to fill it out is great. A friend and I ran a couple races yesterday, first in Formula Trainers at Virginia International, then GT cars at the Daytona Road Course in a multi-class race. We set it up to have a full day-night cycle over a fairly short race and it was great. AMS2 is probably the most visceral of these sims, combining excellent force feedback and soundscape.

Assetto Corsa Competizione -- Second favorite. Great driving feel, focused on a single series, with excellent racing against the AI.

Assetto Corsa -- Don't drive it all that much, but my son loves drifting old 'Ruf's in it. It has the most dissimilar feeling FFB of all these sims, but stll a great one in it's own right.

rFactor 2 -- Another top sim, but a little older and feels like it. Good AI racing, lots of content -- much of it free -- and a great chassis setup side. I only run my own setups and rFactor is one of the best in terms of options and interface.

RaceRoom -- Too new to me to judge really, but in the brief time I drove it it felt really nice. I was big in to GTR and GTR 2 back in the day and this is the evolution of those sims (even if ACC feels like the actual spiritual successor)

F1 2021 -- Some slag it as simcade, but I love it. Slick presentation and excellent AI racing. The modes are fantastic, especially standard driver career and My Team. With the added two-player career mode the options here are really strong. The ability to talk to my pitwall is a game changer.

One of my friends is nudging me toward iRacing too, so I'll probably be adding that soon.

Here's some of yesterday's action. Formula Trainers at VIR

Me in my C8 at Daytona. Excuse the focus issues. It's an oddity with AMS2's photo mode

Last edited by Threadfin; 05-23-22 at 09:05 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote