Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 05:50 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I love open world, or better: open landscape simulations. That's why I love Skyrim and Oblivion, ArmA and ArmA2. The action is not that important to me.

As a child I also loved to play "Kriegen", I think that is "Cowboys&Indians", "Hide&Seek", yes? Hiding from the other while trying to sneak on him at the same time. That's why I love Steel Beasts Pro. Few games allow that so well.

Like you, I also do not care much for highscores in The Hunter. I have simulated a day's roaming by having 3 sessions: From 07 to 11, from 11 to 15, and from 15 to 19. I use to set up a tent now at the end of a session - and starting right there again in the next. That way, I can wander for example from the very North to the very South of - what was the name: Whitesomething Island. Could be done in one session only when running in a straight line. But then you do not see any animals. The forests there are very nice, plenty of underwoods.

But of course I need to adapt to the activity time tables of the species sooner or later. A bear I probably will not get the way I play now, not without setting up a bait some days earlier. those beasts so far have only shown me their backs on two occasions, in another reserve, running, and from great distance. But I got one coyote, from a blind stand, luring.

I think the blind stands, especially the one on the ground and the tripod, are too effective. The callers are too effective, too.

A self-imposed rule I obey is that I do not shoot it if it ain't give me a score, that rules out all female deer already, and female turkeys. But they stay around, and I must avoid making them panicking, else they flee and make the trophy-carrier leaving Dodge, too.

But the best part is to just wander around, looking, staying hidden. It's like a mini-holiday.

Question, by your experience, what do you prefer, the Deer Grunt Caller or the Deer Bleat Caller? I think I so far missed their difference, if there is any. Should attract Blacktail, Whitetail and Mule Deer, but is there a difference between both callers?

Scents I have not used so far.

I hope they are going to implement night time, too.