View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 10:46 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

BTW, a couple of things I also wanted to cover.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse. Meaning, don't invest $3,000 in hardware to play a $50 game. This sounds obvious but on the other hand, a lot of people have bought new graphics cards just to play one new game.
If a concept sounds ridiculous, it probably is.

I'm an old fart. Back in my day, if you wanted Total Immersion you learned how to feel it between your ears.

Controllers, yokes, wheels, and pedals. Try to keep it simple, at least at first.
The downside to wheels, flight yokes, and pedals is that they don't disappear when you quit the game. They just sit there, clamped to your desk and in the way. Or, it gives visitors an "Aw, geez. One of those guys.." kind of feeling.

Brand new hardware will NOT give you the reflexes of a 17 year old (AKA Online Gaming). There's a good reason why most pro athletes retire in their 30's. It isn't because their shoes got old.

Wheels, yokes, and pedals won't increase your floor space.
Again, this sounds obvious. Look at this thru someone else's eyes for a minute. Having a wheel, pedals, and a shifter set in a small room looks a lot like having a Christmas tree set up in July.
Meanwhile, you know how much you paid for your controllers and how hard they were to find. To any visitor in your home, assume they'll have no clue but they WILL want to "give 'er a try" (even if the computer is off). This is why its always handy to keep a cricket or baseball bat in your gaming room.

While I'm on the topic, I don't care how much you paid for your wheel, pedals, shifter, HOTAS, and yoke. They WILL wear out, they WILL break.
If you have experience changing the oil and spark plugs/injectors in your car you have the basic mechanical skills to try and fix them. Just keep your fingers crossed you'll be able to find the parts. There is nothing quite like hearing the return spring snap on your brake pedal two days after you fixed it.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote