View Single Post
Old 12-19-22, 06:19 PM   #1823
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I doubt Germany have the ability to defend their own borders.
Thats more than doubt - thats a certainty.

Many Germans still do not even understand why they should want to defend themselves.

In the transition phase from great defence minister vond und zu Guttenberg to greta defence mninister von der Leyen they breeded a great plan, that was that Germany would command a league of foreign troops from its bordering neighbours, and equip them while not pariticpating in the man poower, and then have these fighting in case of a war that nobody imagiend to ever com e anyway. Of course said neighbouring sttae showed Germany the middle finger. The Germans wondered why this was so, but let the plan silently disappear under the carpet.

On the Puma, I never was a fan of that thing, and I think I criticised it on sevral occaisosn already years ago. The three modular armour. The cannon that did not aim precise. Electronics and optics problems from day one on. The need of four air lifts to transport 3 tanks in configuration C: three planes per tank,a nd a forth one for the component armor - and this for the Germans with their mighty logistics and big big A400M fleet! . Today they say the turret was build to house the HK MG4 with cal 5.56 and that it is so good becasue thats the same small callibre the ifnantry uses for its assault rifles, but I recall very brightly that years ago it was documented that the turret was mis-planned and did not have enough space to house a cal 7.62 (they now want to build a H&K MG5 into it). And then the main cannon now on crooks. Not to mention the hardening against exhaust gas not to to endanger pregnant soldier girls who go into battle highly pregnant.

No, its fair to say I never was a fan of that thing. And then the high price, the heavy weight. No wonder nobody wants to buy it. And they still fight a long list of serious problems - since 16 years.

It got reported today the problems that led to the failing of 18 of 18 tanks in easy exercises that were not even material stress tests, came from a software update.

If true, I can only use Adama's words in Battlestar Galactica. That scene could have been written by me, I agree with every single word he says.

I like computers. But not networked. Not automatically administring themselves. All my devices, from tablet to computer, are not networked in any way, and use not shared cloud or internet accounts. None of them updates automatically. And so forth. Computer - hell, yessir! But only kept on a very short line. As little smart-home as possible. Best is: no smart-things-home at all.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-19-22 at 06:29 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote