View Single Post
Old 01-21-11, 03:22 PM   #23
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

When I first came into my Windows 95, it was already old. I happened to find SHCE in the bargain bin at a Comp USA store. I didn't have any computer games and was eager to find one that would run on my system, so I bought it. It stayed in a drawer for some time before I got to messing around with it. Initially, I was most impressed by the interview movies. I played some of the missions, off and on, before learning it was possible to have a "career". I was using auto targeting, not realizing for a moment that any other method was possible. Then one day, when I was goofing around with the TDC, I turned the auto/manual switch, and SURPRISE! Who knew this thing actually worked? I had just assumed it was eye candy--just another part of a computer game. This is why I fell in love with the game. It is the difference between shooting ducks in a computerized shooting gallery and having to think, plan and calculate to hit your target. After that, I figured out how to manually calculate a firing solution without the TDC. This gave me a chance to use my high school geometry for a change.

When I got my Windows Vista machine, I tried to install SHCE, but couldn't get it to work, but I still have fond memories of playing. More importantly, the lessons and tactics I learned in SHCE (and reading some of the books about sub ops) help me to play SH4.

I agree with others about the SH4 devs not making use of the lessons to be learned. It's a pitty really, SH4 could have an exemplary sim that set new standards, instead of being, playable only when modded. Apparently, they didn't learn much from the experience either (SH5).

I still have the cd, of course. I may still try to get it going again. The biggest improvment in SH4, IMO, is being able to sail over the entire Pacific. The small, box-like, patrol zones, and teleporting from base to the zone, was a weak point.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote